Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Time Out, Sir Benjamin

On our most recent family vacation, my son Ben spent some time in "time out" for some minor transgression or another. I couldn't resist snapping a photo of him sitting in this great field, surrounded by trees.

It strikes me that when I was a kid, it was a lot easier to get time alone (undisturbed by electronic hoochiebangs and unfettered by ever-present-and-watching parents).

I remember back to when I was Ben's age (about 8) and how I struck off on my first adventure. I had saved up $2.50 and trekked through several neighborhoods and a couple large fields to Franklin Park Mall. I stopped at a Hardees along the way (where I spent some of my money on some deep fried potato thing...) and played some video games at the arcade. My parents had no idea I'd wandered so far. Suffice it to say that I felt very grown up afterwards. :)

Today if my 8-year-old wandered off that far (esp. without me knowing it) I would be freaked. I don't fault my parents for not knowing/caring... I just think times were different back then. It's a shame though, because I think a lot of my curiousity and willingness to try things stems from having a lot of freedom as a kid. Posted by Picasa

No comments: